The Step-by-Step Guide to Family Mediation Bournemouth

Family mediation Bournemouth is becoming more popular as a way for families to resolve disputes over children, finances, or both.

The following steps are involved in the mediation process:

Mediation referral

The first step is for either party or their lawyer to refer to a family mediation Bournemouth service. The referral will include both parties’ contact information and a brief explanation of the issues they wish to mediate.

Meeting for Mediation Assessment (MIAM)

Following initial contact, each party is required to attend an MIAM. The mediator will meet with each party separately. The mediator will meet with each party to assess whether mediation Bournemouth is appropriate for the issues at hand and whether both parties are willing to attend mediation.

To initiate court proceedings, the mediator could provide party who did attend their MIAM with either a signed copy C100 form (for child applications) or a signed copy Form A (for financial applications). London Mediation

Joint Mediation

After both parties have attended their MIAMs and the mediator has deemed both parties suitable, the next step is to facilitate a joint mediation Bournemouth session. It will include a client engagement letter, agreement to mediate, funding agreement and in financial cases, a financial disclosure booklet.

During the session, the parties will have the opportunity to discuss their concerns and hopes for the outcome. The mediator will assist the parties in evaluating the options presented by each party. This session’s goal is to narrow the issues and reach a mutually acceptable agreement. A typical mediation process takes 2 or 3 sessions, but depending on the issues, more may be required.

Mediation records

Each session ends with a mediation record that summarises the issues discussed, any proposals made, and any tasks due before the next session. After both parties have agreed on the overall agreement, the mediator will draught an MOU and an Open Financial Statement (OFS). The OFS is only prepared in financial mediation cases and summarises each party’s finances.

The mediation Bournemouth paperwork is not legally binding, so the parties will need to consult a lawyer to formalise their agreement, e.g. draught a consent order.

Why Mediation?

When dealing with our own emotions, it’s sometimes difficult to consider our former partner’s or spouse’s feelings, as well as any children.

Mediation Bournemouth can help with child custody, divorce, and financial issues by allowing you to talk with your ex-spouse and come up with a plan that works for the whole family.

Mediation recognises that as parents, you are best placed to make decisions for your family. The mediator’s role is to help you think about how these decisions will affect you both and, most importantly, the kids.

If you reach an agreement in family mediation Bournemouth, the mediator records it in a document called a memorandum of understanding. Any financial information provided will be kept open. This information is sent to you, your ex-spouse, and any legal representatives. Your legal representatives can use the documentation to draught a legally binding document in financial matters. In divorce proceedings, the Court will approve this without the need for a court appearance.

Mediation avoids contested court proceedings, allowing you and your former spouse/partner to retain control of the decision-making process rather than leaving it to a Judge’s discretion.

Family Mediation Bournemouth How does it work?

Family mediation is a way to resolve disputes with your ex-partner over property, finances, children, or both. The family mediator works with you and your ex-partner to reach a mutually agreeable outcome.

What is a Miam?

A MIAM is a one-on-one meeting with the mediator. Participants must attend an MIAM to learn about mediation and other dispute resolution options, discuss issues with the mediator, and determine whether family mediation is a good fit for them and the other party. Each party would have an MIAM appointment separately so the mediator could assess suitability.

Do I have to go to mediation if my ex-partner refuses?

Mediation is a voluntary process, but to file a C100 or Form A application with the court, you must attend your MIAM appointment.

After I get my MIAM, what?

If both parties agree to mediate and the mediator finds both parties suitable, we will contact them to schedule a joint mediation session.

What if we agree?

Mediation Bournemouth is a confidential process, so discussions cannot be used against you in court. A Memorandum of Understanding sets out the issues discussed and the consensus reached by our mediators. Once all parties have approved this, you can take it to your respective legal advisors who can make it legally binding. For financial mediation, we also prepare an open financial statement that summarises your financial information.